Naval History Homepage and Site Search
Log Books of the U.S. Revenue Service/Coast Guard, 19th and 20th Centuries
General description, specifications and time line
USCGC Tallapoosa, taken around 1920
(USCG Photo, click images to enlarge)
Back to US Log Book Homepage
(Tallapoosa, river in Georgia)
Type and Characteristics: Steam cutter, one of two Tallapoosa-class (the other being Ossipee), WPG-52, built by Newport News Shipbuilding at cost of $225,000, launched 1 May 1915, commissioned 12 August 1915, 912 tons displacement, 165ft x 32ft x, 11ft 9in draft, triple expansion steam engines, 12kts, armed with 4-6pdr (1915), 2-3in/2-20mm/depth charges/Mousetrap mortars (1945), crew of 72 - 9 officers, 63 men.
Log Period and Areas of Service: 1915-46, Nova Scotia waters, Gulf of Mexico, Bering Sea, Alaskan waters, Eastern seaboard.
Summary of Service
12 August 1915 – Commissioned; homeported at Mobile, AL, for search and rescue patrols between Louisiana and Florida.
6 April 1917 – Transferred to the Navy Department; served the Navy on antisubmarine patrol on the northeast coast of the United States and at Halifax, Nova Scotia.
28 August 1918 – Returned to the Treasury Department, and resumed her duty in the Gulf of Mexico, operating out of Mobile. Ala.
11 October 1920 – Assigned to the Gulf Division, patrolling that whole coast and Florida.
2 January 1929 – Permanent station became Key West.
9 November 1929 – Extensive repairs and alterations done at the Key West Depot.
6 February 1931 – Homeported at Juneau, Alaska, and put on Bering Sea Duty, with several visits to Seattle for dry-docking.
7 August 1937 – Homeported at Savannah, Georgia, for search and rescue missions in the Jacksonville District.
24 October 1940 – Rearmed at Todd Shipyard, Inc., at Algiers, Louisiana.
1 Nov 1941 - Coast Guard transferred to Navy Department control by presidential executive order; Tallapoosa engaged in convoy escort and anti-submarine work.
4 January 1943 – Became an observing vessel for tests with shore blackouts.
28 February 1943 – Returned to her duties on the Southern Ship Lane Patrol.
18 November 1945 – Decommissioned at Curtis Bay, Maryland.
Fate: Decommissioned 18 November 1945, sold to Caribbean Fruit & Steamship Co, Inc., July 1946.
A general note on the sources.